Help, please. My aux DVI monitor quit suddenly.

Yesterday, my auxiliary monitor (DVI) display just displayed black. I tried a second monitor: no joy. All other ports work: USBs, Ethernet, audio. My dock is ud-3900. It is about a month old.

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
UD-3900: Monitor attached to DVI port does not display..

Yesterday, my auxiliary monitor (DVI) display just displayed black. I tried a second monitor: no joy. All other ports work: USBs, Ethernet, audio. My dock is ud-3900. It is about a month old.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for getting in contact with us. I’d be more than happy to help you with your Plugable display product. In order to better assist you, I’ll need a bit of additional information.

First, does the monitor via the HDMI port still operate properly?

Second, can you please verify that the DisplayLink drivers are properly installed. You can do this by reinstalling the drivers, please use these steps:

1. Disconnect the adapter from the computer.

2. Run the DisplayLink Cleaner tool to completely uninstall existing DisplayLink Software:
    http://displaylink.com/techsupport_fi…

3. Download driver v7.6 M1 from the below link and follow the installation prompts.
    http://www.displaylink.com/support/sl…

4. Reboot the computer.

5. Replug the adapter to the computer. Allow several minutes for the driver to enumerate and for the firmware upgrade to complete.

Lastly, can you provide the logs produced by our tool Plugdebug, you can find it here and then send them to me at support@plugable.com.

http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug

Once we have those logs, we’ll start trying to figure out what exactly is going on with your setup.

Regards,

Stephen
Plugable Technologies

Since first reporting this problem, OneNote triggered by the pen with my Surface Pro 3 does not start up. Splash screen then crash.

Running the DL_Install_Cleaner utility did no restore functionality to SurfacePro3 pen/OneNote. System Recovery back to prior to DisplayLink installation did restore functionality.

I wanted to say that I’d hit this same problem. Cleaning the drivers and updating to the latest ones (7.6 M1 from the link above) seemed to work, but then I found that several of my Windows Store Apps no longer worked - they crashed on startup.

After spending hours trying to debug these, I realised that their failure co-incided with upgrading the DisplayLink drivers, so I cleaned them out and the apps started working again.

I’ve now ended up going back to the 7.4 drivers that installed automatically when I connected the pluggable to my Surface Pro 3 - at the moment (at least) I have both an external (DVI) display working and my store apps (on my UD-9000 dock). Whether this will last is a good question, though…

First, I’d like to say that Stephen has been exceptional in helping me sort this problem.

As to Stephen’s last suggestion made: I re-attached my Surface Pro 2 and Lo! and Behold! UD3900 worked perfectly. i.e. Metro apps did not crash and my monitor worked. I realized that my SP2 had not been updated to the latest drivers (7.6M1) only my SP3–which exhibited the problem.

I reinstalled the old drivers and my SP3 now functions. Metro apps do not crash and my external monitor worx.

Now I see that Ed experienced a similar problem with the 7.6M1 drivers.

Chris

Is it now safe for me to install the latest drivers (7.6M2)? Just a little gun-shy, I guess. (I’ve had no further communication with Plugable people about the issue.) But if no one has experienced any problems with 7.6M2 on a SurfacePro3 then I will have more confidence.
Signed: Cautious Chris

Hi Chris,

We have a Surface Pro 3 here in the office, currently using the 7.6M2 drivers and we’ve not had any problems with the Metro apps.

Regards,

Stephen
Plugable Technologies

I appreciate the quick response. Thank you.