Gigabit ethernet adapter not compatible with Windows 7 Network Map

I have a USB 2.0 Gigabit ethernet adapter Model USB2-E-1000. I have it in the back of my 100BT HP S5514Y (creaky Athlon II x2). Amazingly, it takes my existing 42 Mbps performance and boosts it to about 100 Mbps for which I am very satisfied. However, when I try to create the network map I get an error: it cannot create a map with this type of adapter. Any ideas why that might be? When I switch to WiFi (I added a network card) I can also achieve 80 Mbps and draw the map, but not with the plugable “gigabit” adapter.

Hi William,

Thank you for posting your question about this.

Unfortunately, I don’t have a Windows 7 computer available at the moment to test this on (Network Mapping was removed in Windows 8 and later), but please open the properties for the adapter and make sure Microsoft LLDP Protocol Driver, Link-Layer Topology Discovery Mapper I/O Driver, and Link-Layer Topology Discovery Responder are selected. I’ve added a screenshot, but your arrangement of these items may be different.

!](https://d2r1vs3d9006ap.cloudfront.net/s3_images/1250643/Network_Mapping_Settings_inline.jpg?1438709815)](https://d2r1vs3d9006ap.cloudfront.net/s3_images/1250643/Network_Mapping_Settings.jpg?1438709815)

If they are set, and still this doesn’t work, please let me know.

Thanks,

David
Plugable Support

David you have helped quite a bit with your response:
a) I see these three drivers are present in Windows 8 – what is their function in Windows 8 if not to do network mapping?
b) I have the Link Layer Topology Discovery Mapper I/O driver and Link Layer Topology Discovery Responder, but I am missing the Microsoft LLDP Protocol Driver. Do I still need it if I am going to be upgrading to Windows 10?
c) I did try to hunt down the Microsoft LLDP Protocol Driver. I found that it is not a good idea to install individual Microsoft components from unknown sources. I tried reinstalling Windows 7 but it did now show up this time either. In the event that I do need it, how do I get it?
A grateful Bill Putnam

Hi Bill,

I’m sorry for the long delay in answering. Our system for notifying us when we need to respond wasn’t working.

I have to confess I’m not an expert at this. But I will answer what I can…

1). As I understand it, these drivers are used by Windows to discover things it needs to know about your network. Providing the information to the user in the form of a network map was an added bonus. I think they probably removed that feature because it gave the user too much information about the network, especially in secure situations. Also, with Windows 8, there has been a trend of “dumbing down” the user interface, basically treating all users like they were teenagers using a tablet to update their social media accounts.

b) Windows 10 will supply all the drivers it needs as part of the upgrade, so no worries on that score.

c) I don’t think you need it. I’m just guessing here, but I think that the ASIX company who made the chip and the driver we use in the adapter probably did not make an effort to support network mapping with this device.

I hope that helps a little.

David