Gamma Problem in DisplayLink Driver (UD-ULTCDL) after v8.2.2139.0

Gamma issue on Windows 10 x64 for Plugable UD-ULTCDL. Version 8.2.2139.0 works fine, but upgrading Displaylink drivers causes gamma to be incorrect. Greys bleed into whites, noticeable in software like Visio or Google Chat. Is not a monitor or OS issue. Fixed by downgrading driver.

Hi There,

Thank you so much for reaching out to us, I am sorry to hear that you are running into this issue, but I would be more than happy to assist!

Would it be possible to obtain the model number of the displays that the issue is occurring on, as well as the model of the system you are utilizing?

Also, what other devices do you have connected to the docking station when this behavior occurs, and does it only happen on the DVI or 2K HDMI port, but not on the 4K HDMI port?

Thank you for your time,
Marc
Product Owner & Technical Support
www.plugable.com/support

I’m running two monitors - ASUS VN279. Both of these are connected via HDMI from the Plugable hub. The HDMI port that causes problems is the “HDMI 2k” port, and not the 4k port.

Matching the problem display to the display adapter properties, it shows as the DisplayLink USB Device, which is why changing the driver version fixes/breaks gamma. Windows 10 consistently wants to update this driver to version 8.3.2008.0, which is very frustrating. Version 8.2.2139.0 works, but I keep having to manually revert back.

The laptop I’m using is a Samsung 9 (2016 version) with an Intel graphics card driving the laptop display and then the first HDMI (4k) port off USB-C.

Hi There,

Thank you so much for this information! Based on the description of the issue, we may be dealing with a coloring issue inside of the 8.3 driver, and DisplayLink has just recently released a new driver, 8.4, and I would like to see if it changes any of the behavior you are seeing. When you have a moment, could you please follow these instructions:

1. Disconnect the dock from the system and please remove the power cable from the dock so it turns off completely (this is important so the unit resets). Please keep it disconnected until the last step.
  2. Uninstall any and all software with ‘DisplayLink’ in the title that is present from within the Control Panel -> Programs and Features. Don’t worry if these entries are not present or if the process does not work, just move onto the next step
  3. Download, extract and run the DisplayLink cleaner tool, found here –> http://www.displaylink.com/downloads/… and ensure it displays “Cleaning Complete” when done (video walk-through if you need it -> https://youtu.be/AcVV1gD_FvI)
  4. Once the Cleaner has been run, reboot (even if not prompted to)
  5. Now download and install the 8.4 M0 DisplayLink software, found here –> https://s3.amazonaws.com/plugable/bin…
  6. Reattach the power cable to the dock first. Once the dock is powered on, reconnect it to your system which will trigger the final portion of the installation. If the device is not detected, please click the ‘Skip’ button to allow the process to complete and then reboot the system.

Thank you for your time,
Marc
www.plugable.com/support

Hello,

I followed those instructions exactly, and the 8.4M0 drives have the same issue. The driver version in Windows for the UD-ULTCDL display adapter shows as 8.4.3005.0.

Rolling back to the earlier driver version (8.2.2139.0) fixes the issue.

Hi There,

Thank you so much for working through those instructions! I appreciate you taking the time to do so, and I am sorry that they did not provide an immediate resolution.

Now that we have ensured that all of the DisplayLink software and drivers are up to date, I would like to review some of the other drivers and firmware on your system, to see if it is a combination of software issue.

When you have a moment, could you please keep everything connected and send us the output of our diagnostic utility PlugDebug –> http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug as this will allow us to examine some log files from your system to help determine the next steps. Then, please attach the .zip file that will populate on your desktop, and send it in a direct email to support@plugable.com. Please include “Ticket no. 210548” in the subject line, so that we can ensure all of your information is kept together!

Thank you for your time,
Marc
www.plugable.com/support

Done! Ran the tool with the working drivers installed.