Frozen USB-C Dock with MacBook Pro + Huge File Transfers

USB-C Dock, Late 2017 MacBook Pro with Touchbar. If I transfer large 100GB+ files, after around 20GB my third monitor blanks, and the device becomes unresponsive. I have to reboot the hub and it kills my transfer.

Hello Michael,

Thank you for contacting Plugable support! Sorry to hear about this issue. I’d be more than happy to assist you. I’ve got a few questions:

1. When you are transferring these files, how are you doing so? With an external hard drive?
  2. If so, does it matter what USB port the drive is connected to?
  3. Which port is the third monitor connected to on the dock that is blanking out?
  4. Are you connecting the dock to your laptop with the included USB-C to C cable or a different third party cable?

Please don’t hesitate to let us know of other questions.

Thanks again for contacting Plugable support and best wishes!

Joshua Henry
Plugable Technologies

These file transfers are all over the network, local PC to server.

Monitor that blanks is on the 2k HDMI, the entire hub freezes though, USB connected devices as well. The laptop and the 4k direct through HDMI port still work.

Included USB-C.

I also updated to the latest driver linked off your site, I thought that’s what I’d already installed since I’m on High Sierra, but now I’m not sure. I did another 100GB+ transfer and it worked this time.

I’ll be trying a few more today and over the weekend, the driver may have fixed it though.

However I must say I’ve had to reboot this hub due to freezing in the past, maybe once every 3-4 weeks on average. Without large transfers. This never happened on my HP Spectre, just with the Mac.

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the info. Sorry for my delayed reply over the weekend.

Based on this information, I’m not opposed to sending you a pretested replacement dock that we’ve verified to have the latest firmware installed. I know you mentioned things seemed OK on the HP, so I’m not sure that the hardware is bad, but it’s possible there’s an intermittent or marginal issue that’s causing things to not work right on the Mac.

If you keep running into issues go ahead and send us a direct email at support@plugable.com and reference ticket 214199. Please provide your Amazon Order ID # or other proof of purchase, the serial # off the bottom of the dock, and the best shipping address.

Thanks,
Josh