External monitor.

I purchased a plugable USB 3.0 docking station to use with an HP Pavilion g6 laptop with Windows 8. I have successfully connected all but one of my peripheral devices. I have connected two external hard drives, my printer, a keyboard, and my DSL router. I have a Samsung 22" TV monitor that I was using with my desktop. The TV will display my desktop wallpaper and my task bar but will not display any of the desktop icons nor any active screen. E.g.: It is not displaying this screen. It also does not display my screensaver photos but rather shows only a black screen. Any suggestions?

Hi Bob,

Thanks for posting your question here! If you are getting a display on the Samsung TV without the icons, then it means that the TV is in ‘Extend’ mode.

What this means is that Windows considers the additional monitor as extra space to render the display. If you want to display any windows on the external monitor, you would have to drag the window from your laptop to the extended monitor with your mouse.

Here is a link to another post which also has a video showing display behavior in ‘Extend’ mode: http://support.plugable.com/plugable/…

If you want to see the same display as on your laptop screen, we have to configure the TV to be on ‘Duplicate’ mode. There are multiple ways to do that, but the easiest way is to do the following :

Press the Windows logo key + P on your keyboard, select Duplicate from the displayed options and then you should see the same image as that of your laptop, icons and all on the TV connected through the Docking Station.

Please give it a try and let us know if you are able to set the TV in ‘Duplicate’ mode and if the display is the way you wanted it to be.

Regards,
Roze