Ethernet connection drops with moderate or heavy traffic from Plugable USB3-HUB3ME in Windows 8.1 on a WinBook TW100

Most of my documents live on a server, as local storage space is minimal on this device. Whilst it has built-in 802.11n Wi-Fi, I’ve got access to a wired gigabit Ethernet network in my office. So, I purchased a Plugable USB3-HUB3ME and moved the network cable from the PC that I’d been using to this device.

Although the device seemed to initially work, it dropped when I tried to copy a number of files at once. So, I downloaded and installed the latest drivers available from the Plugable website. After rebooting, I get the same symptoms.

The “Network Adapter” Troubleshooting wizard will bring the connection back up after it drops by resetting the adapter and “fixing” a “the default gateway is not available” error. But, when I try to initiate another file transfer, it quickly drops, too.

While the connection is dropped, ipconfig will still show that the device has an address but it can’t ping the local router. The LEDs (green and amber) are the same (blinking and solid, respectively) while the connection is dropped as when it is working.

Web browsing seems to work OK; perhaps the level of traffic is low enough with interactive use not to send the adapter over the edge.

How can this be resolved? Thanks!

Hello Thomas,

I am sorry to hear this. Just to rule out hardware failure, can you test the USB3-HUB3ME with another laptop or computer to see if you can reproduce these same symptoms?

Please also install the Ethernet driver ahead of time before connecting the USB hub. Please let me know what you find.

Kind regards,
Patric
Plugable Technologies

I have tried the USB3-HUB3ME on a desktop computer with a spare USB 3 port. The desktop computer has the Windows 10 Technical Preview installed, and it immediate recognized and configured a driver for the device. Even without changing that driver to the Plugable one, the device works just fine: I could not get it to reproduce those symptoms. So, I think that this rules out hardware failure.

I believe that leaves three possibilities:

1. There is something about the hardware or configuration of the TW100. (Faulty USB 3 port, BIOS or Windows power management settings, etc.)
  2. There is a problem with this device under Windows 8.1 that was resolved with the Win 10 TP.
  3. There is something specific to the driver that I’m using for this device under Win 8.1 on the TW100.

The TW100 had a known issue with over-aggressive power management of the Bluetooth radio which was resolved with a BIOS update. While that would not cause this problem with the USB 3 connection (and I’m using the newer BIOS that remedies the problem in any case), it does wonder if there are power management settings that might not be correcting detecting activity on the network device attached to the hub and sending it into a sleep state too soon (which would produce the drops that I’m seeing.)

Do you have any suggestions for places to check (BIOS, UEFI or within Windows 8.1) for power management settings that would impact the USB3-HUB3ME ?

Thanks
Thomas

Hello Thomas,

I am very sorry about the delayed response! Not all of my emails came through in the last week and and a half and yours slipped through the cracks.

First off, I would like to try disabling selective suspend to see if this has an effect. You can find this setting buried in your power options (please see screenshot). Please let me know if this helps.

Kind regards,
Patric
Plugable Technologies

!](https://d2r1vs3d9006ap.cloudfront.net/s3_images/1123370/selectivesuspend_inline.png?1416608070)](https://d2r1vs3d9006ap.cloudfront.net/s3_images/1123370/selectivesuspend.png?1416608070)

Patric -

Thank you for the suggestion to adjust the USB settings within the Advanced Settings area of Power Options. Unfortunately, I do not seem to have any such choices. My computer came with a single power plan, Balanced. It did not have a USB Settings area. So, I’ve tried creating a new plan (thinking that perhaps the default just hid such controls). Unfortunately, it doesn’t have them either, as you can see from the attached image.

Do you know how I can reveal the USB power settings?

Thanks
Thomas
!](https://d2r1vs3d9006ap.cloudfront.net/s3_images/1128399/Missing-USB-Settings_inline.PNG?1417720551)](https://d2r1vs3d9006ap.cloudfront.net/s3_images/1128399/Missing-USB-Settings.PNG?1417720551)

Hello Thomas,

I am so sorry, I do not know how this response slipped through the cracks, but I profusely apologize!!!

I still want to help you if you are still interested. What version of Windows 8.1 are you using? Either way, please contact me directly at support@plugable.com and use “Ticket #7444” as a subject as a reference to this thread. We can pick things up from there if you are still experiencing the same symptoms.

Kind regards,
Patric
Plugable Technologies