Err() function redefinition

When building the udlfb module under ArchLinux for ARM, I get the following errors:
/home/squeeze/builds/udlfb/src/udlfb/udlfb.c:103:2: warning: #warning CONFIG_FB_MODE_HELPERS required. Expect build break -Wcpp]
/home/squeeze/builds/udlfb/src/udlfb/udlfb.c: In function ‘dlfb_usb_probe’:
/home/squeeze/builds/udlfb/src/udlfb/udlfb.c:1671:3: error: implicit declaration of function ‘err’ -Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
/home/squeeze/builds/udlfb/src/udlfb/udlfb.c: In function ‘__check_console’:
/home/squeeze/builds/udlfb/src/udlfb/udlfb.c:2042:1: warning: return from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]
/home/squeeze/builds/udlfb/src/udlfb/udlfb.c: In function ‘__check_fb_defio’:
/home/squeeze/builds/udlfb/src/udlfb/udlfb.c:2045:1: warning: return from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]
/home/squeeze/builds/udlfb/src/udlfb/udlfb.c: In function ‘__check_shadow’:
/home/squeeze/builds/udlfb/src/udlfb/udlfb.c:2048:1: warning: return from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]
cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
make[1]: *** [/home/squeeze/builds/udlfb/src/udlfb/udlfb.o] Error 1
make: *** _module_/home/squeeze/builds/udlfb/src/udlfb] Error 2
make: Leaving directory ‘/usr/src/linux-3.6.11-5-ARCH+’

Where is the ‘err()’ function defined in your list of header files?

Thanks,

George

Hi George,

Thanks for asking! To set expectations, I don’t think udlfb is going to work with a kernel that old (3.6.11).

err() is available on later kernels. But it’s just a debug message, so you can just go ahead and remove the line in udlfb.c, to solve the compile error.

Again, I think there won’t be a way to get it working with kernels from that many years ago, but let us know if you somehow do.

Thanks!
Bernie