Easy Transfer Not Working; Directions are being followed

Easy Transfer is not working. New computer has Win 7; old is running XP and I have installed the Easy Transfer software using a flashdrive. I get a message that the hardware did not install properly. Any ideas?

Hi Laird,

Sorry for the frustrations caused by Microsoft Windows Easy Transfer. Let me see if I can help.

Try download and installing the drivers on your XP system directly from here before plugging in the cable on the XP system: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wi….

If this doesn’t work, please reply back with any error message that you see.

Best Regards,

Aaron
Plugable Technologies

Tried this before posting this message. Error msg: Easy Transfer Cabel not detected. Windows Easy Transfer can’t detect EZ Trans Cable. Plug in cable and click Retry or click Back and try a different transfer method.

The have repeated this process 3 times all with the same results.

Hi Laird,

Thanks for the extra info. We wanted to make sure that you were using the drivers from the website–not the ones that Microsoft makes available from the Windows 7 computer. Those rarely work. But it sounds like you have tried the the website drivers to no avail.

Let’s ignore the Windows 7 computer for now. Let’s focus on XP.

1. When you download and install the drivers on the XP computer from the website link, do you get an error message, or does the driver seem to install properly? If the driver seems to install with no errors, go on to step No. 2.

2. Now when you plug the cable into the XP computer, is the cable recognized? Do you get any error messages.Does it show up in Windows XP Device Manager?

Just reply to let me know what you’re seeing, and we’ll go from there.

Best Regards,

Aaron
Plugable Technologies

The XP computer has no internet access (part of reason it is the ‘old’ computer - but does run resident programs. I can load new software onto the old machine too. Transfer drivers appear to down properly (from flashdrive). After trying to connect for several minutes I get the msg I told you about earlier.

Hi Laird,

Can you try this?

1. Delete the old install package on the Flash drive.

2. Download the drivers from the website on the computer with Internet access.

3. Copy the downloaded file to the flash drive.

4. Take the flash drive to the XP computer to install the downloaded drivers thre.

5. Plug in the cable.

I can guarantee nothing will work until you can get the drivers from the website to the XP computer. That might not solve the problem, but it is a required first step.

Thanks,

Aaron
Plugable Technologies

Finally got it working - thanks

Glad to hear it! Let us know if we can help again in the future.

Best Regards,

Aaron
Plugable Technologies

Hi I’ve tried the above but it doesn’t work for me. I’ve seen other posts that says I have to install the driver separately, but the wizard doesn’t find it. This is so frustrating, can you help any further? Thanks in advance

Hi Tom,

Thanks for posting! Microsoft has the most recent drivers for Vista and XP available at:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wi…

If things are still going south and if you have a Plugable brand Easy Transfer cable, just email your Amazon order # to support@plugable.com and link to this thread, and we’ll be able to work with you to figure out what’s going wrong.

Thanks!
Bernie