Does the HDMI video output work with an HDMI to VGA cable?

I have a MS Surface Pro 2 and want to run two extended monitors which it supports. I am using the UD3900 and have the DVI port used with a DVI to VGA cable, which works fine. I also am trying to use the HDMI video capability to the VGA port with an adapter cable. This is not working. I have tried two different monitors and cables.

Any ideas?

Hi Jim,

Thanks for posting. I’d be happy to help with your docking station!

A quick question, are you using our Plugable brand HDMI-VGA cable –> http://plugable.com/products/hdmi-vga ? I ask because the quality of cables can vary widely, so much so we decided to offer our own HDMI-VGA version. If you are using the Plugable cable it is possible the cable is faulty, but you mention you have tried two and having two be faulty would be very unlikely (but not impossible).

A quick test to ensure your docking station is working properly would be to connect a standard HDMI cable to a HDMI monitor temporarily. This will help isolate the root cause.

Let us know the additional information and the results of testing with a standard HDMI cable if possible and we’ll go from there.

Thank you,

Bob
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Just a quick followup for anyone following this thread. Originally Jim was not using a Plugable HDMi-VGA cable. He ordered a Plugable cable and now everything is working properly.

Thank you,

Bob