Displays hooked to USB-C Triple Display Docking Station do not turn off after inactivity as set in Power Options

I have a Plugable USB-C Triple Display Docking Station with two monitors connected through its HDMI ports and Dell XPS13 9360 connected via the USB-C. The Dell Power options are set for the monitors to turn off after 1 hour, but they do not ever turn off. I can only think this might be due to the fact that they are connected to the Docking Station. Any ideas how I can get them to turn off after a period of time of inactivity so they are not on 24/7?

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for contacting us! I’ve not run into an issue before where the dock specifically was causing the monitors to not sleep, but as a good test, does the built in screen on the 9360 turn off while the dock is connected as expected?

Thanks!
Josh

Hi Josh:

I did a little more experimenting and when I set the displays to go off after 2 minutes, all seemed fine. I then set it back to 45 minutes and went to bed, but the displays were both on in the middle of the night when I woke up and in the morning. I can’t swear they didn’t turn off and then back on for some reason (could there be some reason the displays turned off and then back in in the night)?

As far as whether the laptop screen turns off, I don’t know because in the setup I have, I leave the laptop closed and just use the two big displays. Maybe this is part of the issue?? Any suggestions as to what to try would be useful.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Hmm… Can you try temporarily modifying your setup to have the laptop screen be active? That way we can see if it plays into the issue at all or not.

Thanks!
Josh