Difficulty getting audio to work on external monitors

Hello,
I am having some trouble getting the audio to work on my docking station (UD-3900). I am running Windows 8.1. I have my laptop connected to two monitors (three screens total). One connection is via HDMI and the other is via DVI-D. The video works fine. However, I am unable to get the audio to work on anything other than my laptop. I switched the default playback device over to “Plugable Audio” but nothing comes out of any of the speakers. I’ve installed the latest drivers. Please let me me know if there’s anything I can do.
Thanks!

Hi Haran,

Thanks for posting. I’d be happy to help with your docking station!

Just so I am clear on the details, you have speakers connected to the analog audio output on the front of the docking station? I ask because if the speakers are integrated into the HDMI display and that is where you wish the audio to be output you would have to pick the Monitor as the default playback device in the ‘Sound’ application.

Assuming that you have speakers connected to the audio output on the front of the dock, the first step would be to perform a clean install of the DisplayLink driver used by the dock to see if that changes the behavior. Please follow these steps:

1. Disconnect the dock from the system and please remove the power cable from the dock so it turns off completely. Please keep it disconnected until the last step.
  2. Uninstall the DisplayLink Core software from the Control Panel -> Programs and Features.
  3. Download, extract and run the DisplayLink cleaner tool, found here –> http://displaylink.com/support/sla.ph…
  4. Once the Cleaner has been run, reboot (even if not prompted to)
  5. Now download and install the 7.8 M0 DisplayLink software, found here –> http://www.displaylink.com/downloads/…
  6. Reattach the power cable to the dock first. Once the dock is powered on, reconnect it to your system when prompted by the installer which will trigger the final portion of the installation

Hopefully that gets the audio output working properly. If not, please send us the output of our diagnostic utility PlugDebug –> http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug to support@plugable.com with ‘Ticket 115455’ in the subject line so we can match everything up. If you could also include your Amazon Order ID number that would be great. Please let us know the results when you have a moment and we can go from there.

Thank you,

Bob
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the reply. I do not have any external speakers connected to the analog audio output on the front of the station. I only have the speakers that are a part of the two monitors that are hooked up to the docking station. My goal was to make audio play through these speakers instead of only the laptop. Unfortunately the monitors only come with an audio output (i.e. not an input) for some reason.

Thanks for your help!

Hi Haran,

Thanks for getting back with the update. A couple of quick questions…

What model monitors are you using? Only the HDMI output of the dock is able to carry an audio signal, so the monitor connected to the HDMI output must have speakers in order to work. You mention that your monitors only come with an audio output…in most cases that means the monitor may not have integrated speakers and the output is designed to add them.

For example, I have two Dell U2415 monitors at my desk –> http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/pr… and while they have HDMI inputs they do not have integrated speakers. Dell sells an optional sound bar that mounts to the monitors that connect to the audio output to provide audio.

Any chance the monitors you have are similar?

Thanks,

Bob

I’m using two ACER|LED 23" 5MS H236HLBID IPS monitors.

You’re correct. I mistakenly assumed that because the monitors had volume controls that speakers would be included.

Sorry for the stupid question!

Hi Haran,

Thanks for getting back! The only stupid question is the one that isn’t asked. If that is the worst that happens life is good :slight_smile:

I took a quick look on Acer’s site and they don’t appear to offer anything similar to Dell with regard to a sound bar that mounts to the monitor, but that doesn’t stop you using standard speakers with the monitor as well.

Let us know if you need any help in the future!

Bob