Computer doesn't recgonize device plugged into hub

I unplugged by portable hard drive (Western Digital’s My Passport 500 GB) from my Plugable USB 2.0 10 Port Hard Drive. .
When I went to plug it in again through the hub my Mac no longer recognized the device - even if I rebooted, even if I unplugged everthing else from the hub.
The Mac only recognized the hard drive when it was plugged directly into the computer.

Is there a way to fix this, so that the Mac will recognize the portable hard drive when it’s plugged into the hub?

Thanks!

Hi Ann,

Thanks for posting here! I am sorry to know that you are having trouble connecting the Western Digital’s My Passport 500 GB through our Plugable 10 Port Hub. Let’s figure out what is causing the issue.

Some quick questions to understand the setup and the issue better-:

1. What are the make and models of the other devices connected through the Plugable 10 Port Hub?

2. Other than the portable hard drive, are the rest of the devices recognized by Mac?

3. Is the power adapter plugged into the hub and powering it up?

4. If all the devices and the power adapter are disconnected from the hub and the hub is connected to the Mac, does the blue LED bar on the hub light up?

5. If the hub is unplugged from the Mac and only the power adapter is plugged in, does the blue LED bar light up?

The blue LED bar lights up when the hub is getting powered either from the inbuilt USB port on upstream system or from the power adapter.

Once you post back with this information, we will figure out the next steps.

Thanks for your patience while we figure this out!

Regards,
Roze

Thanks Roze.

1. Other devices: a. Samsung ML-2010 Laser Printer b. Epson Workforce 633 Printer c. IPOD Touch
  2. Yes the other devices are recognized by Mac
  3. Yes the power adapter is plugged into the hub and powering it up.
  4. If all devices are disconnected and the hub is connected to the Mac- does the blue LED bar on the hub light up? yes.
  5. If the hub is unplugged from the Mac and only the power adapter is plugged in, does the blue LED bar light up? No.

Ann,

Thanks for the information! If the blue LED does not light up when the hub is only connected to the power adapter, then it confirms that power adapter is not powering the hub. I apologize for the frustration caused by the failed power adapter.

When the hub’s power adapter is not providing power, the hub is capable of running purely from bus power (from the host PC). This takes power from one USB port and shares it with all the devices that are connected. This is not enough to power up high powered devices like bus powered hard drives (like your Western Digital’s My Passport 500 GB portable drive).

Please shoot us an email at support@plugable.com with your Amazon Order ID and a link to this thread so that we can ship you a replacement to get you up and running at the earliest.

Regards,
Roze

Thanks for your kind and helpful response, Roze.