The website shows a cloning speed of 40MBps. The package shows “up to 80MBps”. That’s a big difference. I want to clone an HDD to as SSD. What throughput should I expect?
Thanks for contacting Plugable!
I assume that you are using one of our Plugable Storage System (PSS) products that are rated for disk cloning transfer speeds up to 80MB/sec. Is that correct?
Can you share which webpage listed the max speeds at 40MB/sec? We would like to get that updated ASAP.
Real world performance will always be less than the maximum speeds due to many factors, including:
- whether your drive is an solid state drive (SSD) or hard disk drive (HDD)
- what SATA type your drive AND dock supports (SATA I, II, III)
- what USB type your USB hard drive dock supports (USB 3.1, USB 3.0, USB 2.0, etc)
- what type of files are being transferred
- how healthy is your hard drive
- how long of USB cables are you using between the dock and your computer
- how powerful is your computer’s CPU and USB controller
- any number of problems with the host computer (virus, bad drivers, old operating system)
I can elaborate on any of the points above if you like. But what all of this means is, everyone will experience different transfer speeds depending on the above factors.
If you can provide the make and model number of your SSD and HDD drives, we can look up the transfer performance on the manufacturer’s website.