Cannot Boot Laptop with Plugable UD-3000 Plugged In

My laptop gives me a blank screen if I try to restart (from sleep) or shutdown/startup and the Plugable is attached. If I detach from USB Port, then restart, PC boots up. I can then attach the Plugable and everything works fine.

Hi Tricia,

Thanks for posting here! I’m sorry to know about the issue you are seeing. This is unusual and we would like to figure out what is causing the issue.

Some quick questions to understand the setup and the issue better:

1. What is the make and model (or specs) of the system to which the Plugable UD-3000 is connected and the current version of OS installed?

2. What are the make and models (or specs) of the devices that are connected via the USB ports on the Plugable UD-3000?

3. Unplug all the devices that are connected via the Plugable UD-3000. Connect the Plugable UD-3000 (to which no devices have been connected) to the system and restart. Does the system boot up without issues or does the issue persist?

4. If the system boots up without any issues when it is connected to the Plugable UD-3000 that has no devices connected, could you connect one device at a time to the Plugable UD-3000, restart the system and let us know if the issue occurs when a particular device is connected through the Plugable UD-3000.

Once you reply with this information, we will figure out the next steps.

Regards,
Roze

Very weird. I have 3 USB 3.0 ports on my laptop. If I have my fitbit dongle plugged into the USB port adjacent to the USB port my plugable is connected to, the PC won’t boot. If I move my fitbit to my port on the opposite side of the laptop, the PC boots no issues. So, there appears to be some collision between the adjacent USB ports running Fitbit and Plugable.

Tricia,

Thanks for the update! When powered, a USB 3.0 port or device will generate significant broadband interference around the 2.4GHz band, as part of it’s normal operation. Intel published the below white paper that talks about this issue in detail: http://www.usb.org/developers/whitepa…

This severely reduces the range of any wireless or Bluetooth dongles in close proximity to the USB 3.0 port through which the USB 3.0 device is connected, resulting in spotty performance and unexpected behavior. The fact that the Fitbit dongle was not providing an expected response during startup is the most probable cause of the issue.

We always recommend connecting wireless or Bluetooth devices/dongles as far away as possible from USB 3.0 ports to which USB 3.0 devices are connected.

If you ever need any help or information regarding any of our products, please do feel free to shoot us an email at support@plugable.com. We are here to help!

Regards,
Roze