BSOD when installing on Windows 7 (32-bit)

I have not used my plugable UD03900 Rev B2 in some time. Now having purchase a Windows 10 mini PC I wish to share the keyboard, mouse, monitor etc between the new mini PC and my old Windows 7 32 bit tower system.

As noted, I have used the device in the past, but now, when installing the software, when I get to the installation stage of plugging the device in, the main PC crashed to a BSOD.

I have tried several installs after using the cleaning tool. But never get past the BSOD.

Hi Joe,

Thank you for contacting Plugable! I am sorry to hear that your UD-3900 docking station is not functioning as expected, and would be happy to provide additional support.

To help diagnose the issue, may I ask you to please keep the dock connected to your new computer with everything still attached (even if not working as expected) and send us the output of our diagnostic utility PlugDebug? → https://plugable.com/pages/plugdebug

Once you have the logs, simply send an email to support@plugable.com with the subject line of “Ticket 378776” so that we can prioritize that case and match it to this inquiry.

Thank you for giving us the chance to help!

Ryoma
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Hi Joe,

Thank you for providing the requested logs!

For my reference, does the same problem occur if the dock is connected to a different USB port on your Windows 7 machine?

After reviewing the files, I noticed that the dock did not appear to be connected at the time of log capture. Could you kindly confirm that the dock was plugged into the PC at that time, and that you were using the USB cable that shipped with the dock as well?

While you had mentioned that you had tried a fresh DisplayLink install, given the issue we’re facing, we’ll want to start by performing one last fresh install of the software and run the cleaner tool again as well. To do so, please follow these steps:

1. Disconnect the dock from the system and please remove the power cable from the dock so it turns off completely (this is important so the unit resets). Please keep it disconnected until the last step
  2. Uninstall any and all software with ‘DisplayLink’ in the title that is present from within the Control Panel > Programs and Features. Don’t worry if these entries are not present or if the process does not work, just move onto the next step
  3. Download, extract and run the DisplayLink cleaner tool (https://plugable.s3.amazonaws.com/bin/DisplayLink/DisplayLink+Installation+Cleaner+10.1.2860.exe)
  4. Once the Cleaner has been run, reboot your computer (even if not prompted to)
  5. Download and install the 10.2 M2 DisplayLink software ( https://plugable.s3.amazonaws.com/bin/DisplayLink/DisplayLink+USB+Graphics+Software+for+Windows10.2+M2-EXE.exe)
  6. Reattach the power cable to the dock first. Once the dock is powered on, reconnect the dock to your system

If these steps help, great! If not, I’d like to request a second set of logs from your system to investigate further. Once you have the logs, simply send them via email as you did previously.

If you could provide your Amazon Order ID (or other proof of purchase) associated with your Plugable device, I would be happy to look up your warranty status as well.

Thanks for your patience while we work to help!

Ryoma
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Those instructions were great. I have been able to install the software on my Windows 7 machine (without any BSOD) and also on my new Mini PC. I’ve been running the machines for two days and there does not appear to be any issues.

Thank you so much for the detailed instructions and for resolving the issues.

Hi Joe,

No problem at all, and thank you for letting me know!

Hopefully everything continues to run smoothly, but if you have any other follow-up questions, please feel free to reach out at any time.

Thank you again for contacting Plugable support!

Ryoma
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.