Audio stopped working after UD_3900 firmware update to rev 9095

I recently updated the firmware in my UD-3900 to rev 9095. Since the update, the audio is not working. I’m running Windows 10 Home on a Dell Inspirion laptop. I’m using a USB 3.0 cable to connect to the port replicator.

Hi William,

Thank you so much for reaching out to us, I am sorry that you are experiencing this issue, but I would be happy to assist!

The firmware update should not have caused errors with the audio, as the firmware is specifically intended for the USB hubs on the device, and audio is routed through the DisplayLink chipset.

Just to make sure everything is installed correctly, and all of the individual drivers are updated, please follow these instructions:

1. Disconnect the dock from the system and please remove the power cable from the dock so it turns off completely (this is important so the unit resets). Please keep it disconnected until the last step.
  2. Uninstall any and all software with ‘DisplayLink’ in the title that is present from within the Control Panel -> Programs and Features. Don’t worry if these entries are not present or if the process does not work, just move onto the next step
  3. Download, extract and run the DisplayLink cleaner tool, found here –> https://s3.amazonaws.com/plugable/bin… and ensure it displays “Cleaning Complete” when done (video walk-through if you need it -> https://youtu.be/AcVV1gD_FvI)
  4. Once the Cleaner has been run, reboot (even if not prompted to)
  5. Now download and install the 8.2 M2 DisplayLink software, found here –> http://www.displaylink.com/downloads/…
  6. Reattach the power cable to the dock first. Once the dock is powered on, reconnect it to your system which will trigger the final portion of the installation. If the device is not detected, please click the ‘Skip’ button to allow the process to complete and then reboot the system.

Please let me know if this garnishes any immediate results!

Thank you for your patience,
Marc
Product Owner & Technical Support
www.plugable.com/support

I did as you suggested. No glitches with the install that I was aware of, but still no sound. Here are some of the things I’ve tried/checked: 1) Check default audio device in Audio Device Manager (“Plugable” in the default audio device); 2) Plug speakers directly into laptop and change default audio device appropriately (sound works in that case - problem is not with speakers); 3) Check sound levels in the system volume control, system tray and whatever application I’m testing with (NY Times videos, YouTube videos, AVS Media Player, etc.) In all cases, sound levels, mute settings etc are good; 4) Unplug and plug the speaker plug from the jack on the Plugable to verify good contact - speakers “crackle” when I insert or remove the plug, but still no sound when playing media etc. Help!!

Hi William,

Thank you so much for working through these instructions, as well as attempting to isolate the issue. Based on your troubleshooting, everything seems to be specifically targeted at the docking station not allowing your device to output audio. In this case, I would like to send over a replacement unit ASAP to see if we can isolate this purely as a hardware failure.

Just to double check everything first, could you please keep everything connected, and then visit www.plugable.com/support/plugdebug, download and run the application, and then send the output of the program (usually a .zip file on your desktop) to our support email address at support@plugable.com with “Ticket no 189079” in the subject line.

Thank you for your patience,
Marc
www.plugable.com/support

I found the problem: I had the speakers plugged into the mic jack on the port replicator. How embarrassing! Thanks for your support. Ticket no 189079 can be closed.

Hi William,

What a strange occurence, I am assuming the issue may have popped up once you were troubleshooting and disconnecting and reconnecting the speakers. I am so glad that you were able to resolve the issue, and I appreciate the time you spent diagnosing and troubleshooting the problem. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us in the future, and I would be happy to assist!

Thank you for your time,
Marc
www.plugable.com/support