7 x USB 3 hub worked perfectly until Windows format...!?!?


#1

Hi all. I bought a Plugable 7 port USB 3.0 hub (USB3-HUB7-81X) a few weeks ago to replace my old (non-Plugable) one, and it worked perfectly well. Just as expected, no problems. And I’m pretty sure one of the external hard drives was being read quicker - the computer is usb 2 but the hd in question is usb 3, so maybe more power? Anyway, that’s not the problem.

I formatted my laptop today (Windows 7 Home Prem 64bit, Sony Vaio somethingorother) and reinstalled Windows. The hub is now reading/working properly with;

WD 1tb HD
Samsung 1tb M3 HD (USB 3)
Samsung Super WriteMaster dvd writer
Sandisk Cruzer 4gb
Kubik SD card reader

When I plugged in my phone (Galaxy Nexus), it kind of worked - Windows installed 2/3 of the drivers. I can’t remember if it was an Android or Samsung driver it screwed up on.

And the following devices give an “unrecognised device” in Windows error;

Behringer UCA-202 (external sound card)
Logitech K300 (wired keyboard)

Any ideas why it might be screwing up on these two? It seems like it only wants to read storage devices, devices that would show up in My Computer.

I have tried different ports etc - they all respond the same way.

For the two devices that don’t work, the blue light comes on for a few seconds and then goes off permanently.

There is obviously power to the hub, as all other connected devices are working, and they all worked with it this morning before I formatted my computer.

Any ideas??? Thanks in advance!


#2

Hi Ed,

Thanks for posting your question here with such great details, I’ll be happy to help. Since you mentioned that all of the devices worked before the reinstall of Windows, we can expect that all of the hardware is functional and compatible.

Let’s start by trying to get the Behringer sound card and Logitech wired keyboard working when connected directly to the computer. Make sure to get all of the drivers installed and then once they are working when connected directly, try moving them to the hub by themselves.

Once you can get each of the devices working directly and then alone through the hub, add your other devices one at a time, keeping the Samsung DVD writer for last.

If you find that the Behringer and/or the Logitech won’t work when connected to the hub alone after getting them working connected directly, look for firmware updates for your model of Sony Vaio laptop. There could be some firmware packages that didn’t get updated when the fresh install was performed.

Let me know how it goes and if there are still issues after taking these steps let me know the model of Sony and I’ll see what I can dig up in the way of updates.

Thanks!
Jerome.

Plugable Technologies


#3

Hi Jerome,

THanks a lot for the detailed (and seriously rapid!) response. I can see why people like Plugable!

You are probably bang on the money with the Sony firmware idea. It completely skipped my mind - I will have a root around on the net and see what I can find, hopefully it isn’t too old (only a few years…).

In case that wasn’t the main cause of the problem, I did what you suggested and installed the drivers etc for the keyboard and soundcard by having them plugged directly into the laptop. That worked as expected, but when I tried plugging them into the hub (with nothing else connected) I got the same unexpected device error.

So as above, I will have a look for some proper vaio hardware/firmware downloads. If my search is fruitless I’ll give you a nudge!

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help.

Ed


#4

No problem Ed,

Thanks for letting me know the progress so far. Sony keeps the support pages for their laptops with the drivers and such available so you should be able to find them. We have a couple of Sony Vaios here so I’ve had to re-locate the Sony specific stuff a few times myself… Let me know the model and I’ll be happy to dig around and see what I find.

Regards,
Jerome.


#5

Hi Jerome,

I managed to sort it! I managed to find a load of Vaio drivers through the Sony website that I thought would help, but unfortunately none of them did. Then, overnight, Windows auto-updated to SP1 and magically everything started working again.

This surprised me - I would have thought that the support was built natively into Windows 7, but apparently not.

Thanks again for the pointers - even though you weren’t quite right, installing some of the Vaio drivers has resolved other issues I had since the format. Result! Hopefully this might help some other confused people…


#6

Thanks for the update! Glad to hear you got it going.

Jerome.


#7