4 Extended Screen Displays using 2 x USB3-HDMI-DVI

Hi. I’m interested in purchasing your Plugable USB3-HDMI-DVI graphic adapter to have 4 separate EXTENDED screen displays. Please advise if the following configuration will work:
Screen 1: Notebook Screen (14")
Screen 2: External 23" monitor connected to my notebook’s HDMI or DVI port
Screen 3: External 23" monitor connected to USB3 port (or hub) via Adapter
Screen 4: External 23" monitor connected to USB3 port (or hub) via Adapter
Note that all 4 displays are extended screens.
Notebook’s spec:
Intel Core i7-2630QM CPU
8GB RAM
Windows 7 Home Premium
NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M
2 X USB3.0 Port
2 x USB2.0 Port
1 x HDMI Port
1 x 15-pin D-connector Port (Female)

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for posting your question here! Yes, your intended setup will work perfect.

You can connect one external monitor via the inbuilt video output port and two other monitors connected through USB 3.0 ports on the system via two units of Plugable USB3-HDMI-DVI to have three external monitors in ‘Extend’ mode.

We do not expect you to see any issues. But if you do see any at all or need any help or information regarding any of our products, please do feel free to shoot us an email at support@plugable.com. We are here to help!

Regards,
Roze

Roze,

Just to be sure. I am using the notebook’s 14" screen as the primary display. So the above setup will allow me to have 4 separate extended screens. Is it correct?

I might consider buying a new notebook with similar configuration but it might only come with 1 x USB3.0 port. I noticed I can buy a USB3.0 Hub which your company has. However, there are 2 models which I don’t understand the differences (except white & black color) after reading the spec from your website. Can you explain what’s their differences?

1. Plugable 4-Port USB 3.0 / 2.0 Compact Hub with 4A Power Adapter (VIA VL811 Chipset) - White color
  2. Plugable 4-Port SuperSpeed USB 3.0/2.0 Hub (With 4A Power Adapter) - Black color

Daniel.

Yes, the above setup will allow you to have your notebook’s display as the primary display and the three external monitors to be in extended mode.

As far as our USB 3.0 Hubs are concerned, the chipset inside both are the same. Also both come with a 4A power adapter. What this means is that they would provide the same functionality. Difference in design is what differentiates them.

The Plugable USB3-HUB4 is slim and compact and comes with a brick-style power adapter with extra-long cables providing a total of six feet of distance between the hub and the electrical outlet. Also the connector on the Hub that connects to the system via USB 3.0 cable is a micro-B connector as the unit is too slim to accommodate a full size B connector.

The Plugable USB3-HUB81X4 has a more solid feel and has all the four ports on one side. The power adapter that comes with this product is a wall power adapter and is 1.5M long. The connector on the Hub that connects to the system via USB 3.0 cable is a full size B connector.

To summarize, as they both provide the same functionality, selecting the right hub would be based on design preference and budget.

Hope the above information helps! Let us know if you need any additional information.

Regards,
Roze